Thursday, September 18, 2008

FLY UNITED

DSCN2296
Olivia asked how long it took to acclimate the plants.
This shows that as soon as the plants are in, local wildlife species, start setting up house.
There are four different kinds of dragon flies, vying for space here at the pond. The aerial dogfights are spirited.
The thing I`ve been wondering all along is, is it fair to build your own photo opportunity studio.
As more life is added to the pond including more plants, fish, turtles, snails & crawfish, predators move in, such as herons, egrets, raccoons, skunks, coyotes & bobcats.
The area is well fenced but most of the mentioned animals are quite adaptive & McGuyver entry through various means. I like every one to have a fighting chance, so the pond has many hiding places incorporated in, to offer refuge from becoming dinner.
The rock star pictured on Planet Earth, is my old friend Jorge, who has been doing rock work for me for over thirty years.
His shades reflect the clouds reflected in the jacuzzi. They also reflect that I inserted them into the shades.
Have a great day.

5 comments:

AndiF said...

The delicacy of the wings is -- in the old-fashioned sense of the word -- awesome. And DSCN2274 is a wonderfully mood-setting picture; it makes me want to find a mantra so I can sit there and chant it.

olivia said...

Morning Head, morning Andi.

Thanks for answering w/ these beautiful photos! :) The detail is fantastic ... Good to see them adjusting to their new environment so quickly ... lol.

I agree w/ Andi re: 2274 -- you could stare into that pool all day ... wow.

Knucklehead said...

Andif,
That pool is the saltwater Jacuzzi that is up in the rocks.
It is also the reflection in the "Rock Star`s" glasses, a little tribute to him. I inserted the reflection image in the glasses to make him feel a little better. From what my client said, she was taking pix of the place to get a different perspective for choosing plantings & he thought she was taking shots of him, so he started posing & flashing "signs". She thought it was "cute".
As far as the pool goes, I`ve relaxed in it at 104 degrees, for a while, & I was not chanting but definitely enchanted. It seems to be so much more buoyant than the little amount of salt in the water should cause. It`s either that or I was floating off in meditation.

Knucklehead said...

Olivia,
There`s no flies on them.
I can`t wait to go over at night & take a few shots, with the underwater lights on. The full moon reflected on the pool`s surface, & with the noise of a living pond playing background music, I just might stay the night.

Unknown said...

by gott mahn, dem dere poor dragon flies are still doin' it!

After three months you'd think they'd have had enough.