Monday, May 5, 2008

FLIGHT OF FANCY

 FLIGHT FORMATION DSCN8391
I caught this formation of flying fairies gliding by yesterday.
OT, Today, while out & about, I saw the largest pod of pelicans I`ve ever seen.
They were flying in two following asymmetrical V`s & must have numbered between two & three hundred.
If you`ve never seen pelicans in flight, especially in large pods, it is definitely a sight to see.
They follow each other very closely & use the front one`s vortices & leave one for the bird in the rear.
They are also one of the lowest flying birds, as the fly below water level.
They`ll get in the front of a swelling wave & ride the current of air displaced with the advancing wave.
If they`re gaining on that current, they`ll dip a wing-tip in the wave face to slow themselves a little for the best current advantage. I can watch them for hours.


Evangeline, we spotted a large, purple based, white flowered bird of paradise on my outing today, down in Malibu.
I`m going into town Weds. & I`ll be sure to shoot it.

7 comments:

Evangeline said...

I'll be looking out for it on Wednesday. Thanks, Head!

About your main photo: I don't know if it's my imagination, but your flying fairies seem to me to be flying in formation, much like the pelicans you saw.

Magnifique!

Knucklehead said...

Evangeline,
Yes I was surprised when I saw the pelicans today, after seeing the flight of blooms yesterday.
I saw the flight of fancy immediately, & shot it like I saw it.
It does look like a flight formation.

AndiF said...

I think I could spent all day just looking at DSCN8390 ... except that I'm going to need even more time for falling deep into DSCN8396. There just not enough hours in the day. Sigh.

olivia said...

Morning Head, Evangeline, Andi.

Love these flying fairy flowers Head.

And yep Andi, DSCN8390 is beautiful!

Knucklehead said...

Good morning Andif,
A day late, eh?
Thanks.
I`ll have a few surprises coming up for the weekend.

Knucklehead said...

Olivia,
All taken on a little walk on the street here.

Unknown said...

I particularly like (the roses in) DSCN8394, with the shapes and elements of botanical nature against the background of rough texture and markings resulting from man's processes.